If you grind and clench your teeth at night Dr. Angela Ishak may recommend a night guard to help protect your teeth. Bruxism (grinding and clenching) can cause significant damage to your teeth and smile if not brought under control. Unfortunately, because it most commonly occurs while asleep many people are unaware of this condition. Some common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw, facial and ear pain
- A tired or tight feeling in the jaw when waking
- Tension headaches and migraines
- Excessively worn teeth, including chipped, flattened, cracked or worn teeth
- Worn down tooth enamel which exposes the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
Night guards are custom oral appliances designed to help you avoid tooth damage while you sleep. Your appliance will fit your teeth and mouth comfortably, preventing the negative effects of tooth grinding so that you can rest peacefully and maintain a healthy smile. Once your bruxism is under control, our dentist and team will work further with you to repair any tooth damage which has occurred and restore your smile to full beauty and health.
For more information about night guards in Katy, Texas, and to schedule a consultation with our experienced dentist, please contact Premier Dental Studio of Katy at 281-271-5100.